Meters (water or electric) rarely run fast, and if they do, the percentage of accuracy is usually insignificant. If your billed usage is high, it could be the result of a number of possibilities that together we can investigate such as:
- rechecking the reading that was used for billing to verify accuracy;
- reviewing your account history – looking at usage for the same billing period last year;
- looking at conditions that may have changed in your household, such as more people living at the residence, etc.;
- checking to see if there are malfunctioning appliances that draw supply, for example, lights, fans, or toilets running continuously;
- verifying that water is not dripping from faucets, shower heads, or outside spigots and hoses.