IMPORTANT CHANGES TO WITHHOLDING REQUIREMENTS
Pursuant to the passage of Amended Substitute House Bill 5 in December 2014, new State mandated municipal income tax guidelines have been established, effective with tax returns due for tax years beginning January 1, 2016 and after.
Changes in filing due date for employee withholding:
- Withholding remittance and payment must be received no later than the 15th of the month following the monthly or quarterly reporting period. No grace period.
Changes in penalty and interest rates:
- Late filing penalty is $25/month per return (capped at $150/return). The penalty is a onetime $500 for casino operators and lottery sales agents.
- Late payment penalty is a one-time 50% penalty of the unpaid balance at the time payment is due.
- Interest will be calculated at the July federal short-term interest rate plus 5%. For 2016 returns, paid in 2017, the monthly interest rate is 0.50%.
Changes in monthly and quarterly withholding thresholds:
- Employers must remit monthly if withholding in the previous calendar year exceeded $2,399 or if the amount required to be withheld during any month of the previous calendar quarter exceeded $200.
- Employers can remit quarterly if their withholdings are under the thresholds described for monthly filers.
Semimonthly withholding may be required, however at this time this will not be required for St Marys or any municipality St Marys administers for.
Withholding guidelines for employers with occasional entrant workers and for those employers qualified as a “small employer” have changed.
Please have your tax advisor review ORC 718 and House Bill 5 to determine how the new, State Mandated changes affect your business.
Chapter 718 of the Ohio Revised Code can be found at: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/718.