The Auditor is elected to a four-year term. This is a part-time position with one additional full-time employee to assist the Auditor with the following responsibilities:
- Estimate resources for budget purposes
- Certify the availability of funds
- Coordinate an annual audit of the City by the State of Ohio or its designee
- Provide monthly reports regarding fund activity and balances
- Process payroll for all City employees
- Maintain investment records
- Maintain debt records
- Record all City revenues and expenses
- Process accounts payable checks
The Auditor's Office works closely with City Administration to fulfill the services of the City in the most efficient and economical manner.
The most recent financial statement for the City of St. Marys are complete and available for public inspection. View the Financial Audit From the Auditor of State (PDF).
The City of St. Marys has received the Ohio Auditor of State Award. The Auditor of State Award is presented to local governments presenting exemplary financial reporting in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Entities that receive the award meet the following criteria of a "clean" audit report:
- The entity must file timely financial reports with the Auditor of State's office;
- the audit report does not contain any findings for recovery, material citations, material weaknesses, significant deficiencies, Single Audit findings or questioned costs;
- The entity's management letter contains no comments related to:
- Ethics referrals
- Questioned costs less than $10,000
- Lack of timely report submission
- Failure to obtain a timely Single Audit
- Findings for recovery less than $100
- Public meetings or public records
- No other financial or other concerns exist that involve eligible entity.