The Knox® Rapid Access System is a secure emergency access program developed for property owners and first responders. First responders across North America use the Knox® Rapid Access System to prevent costly entry damage while protecting property and lives.
When a fire breaks out or there is a medical emergency, Knox products allow immediate entry into buildings and property without forced entry damage or delay. Property owners store entrance keys, access cards, and floor plans in high-security KnoxBox key boxes mounted near building entrances. Each KnoxBox purchased by a property owner is keyed to a single master key controlled by the local responding department. In addition to key boxes and vaults, Knox padlocks and key switches operate with the same master key. There are many gated communities today that fire and police departments are delayed when responding to emergency calls. Increased property damage and even total loss is a threat when property is not accessible.
The Knox Rapid Access System was developed to save property and lives.
Steps for getting a KnoxBox
If you have any questions, please contact City of St. Marys Fire Department before ordering.
- Make sure your building is located in the primary response area for St. Marys Fire Department.
- Determine the number of items needed to be stored in the key box for the building. Generally:
- One master key (or set of keys) per floor (or per 10,000 sq. feet).
- One set of keys per elevator.
- Alarm panel, pull station, sprinkler, and other fire protection controls.
- Electronic access cards, padlocks and/or special keys not on the master system.
- Computer thumb drive with building plans, your emergency procedures, hazardous materials on site, and emergency contacts in PDF format placed in a plastic bag.
- Visit the KnoxBox website or call 800-552-5669.
- Place an order for the correct product and accessories.
- If less than 10 keys, see KnoxBox 3200 Series (most common).
- If 11-50 keys, see KnoxBox 4400 Series.
- SARA III facility, see Knox Cabinet.
- If more than 50 keys or other situations, contact the St. Marys Fire Department.
- Select the zip code for the installation building and select St. Marys Fire Department.
- Determine a location to mount the box key.
- An outside wall, preferably street side, that is strong and has reasonable access 24/7 in any weather condition.
- No higher than 6 feet off the ground and no less than 5 feet off the ground.
- Near an obvious outside fire department entry location such as the front door, control point, or sprinkler door. Discuss with the fire department any non-obvious location before installation.
- Pick your color.
- Pick door type.
- Pick mounting type.
- Surface mounted (easy to install on most surfaces).
- Recessed (door is flush with wall). Requires a mounting kit.
- Pick tamper switch. Optional, but gives an additional layer of security.
- Place order with the Knox Company with shipping to your location.
- Mount box according to the instructions from the Knox Company. The finished box will remain open after installation. Use of a professional installer is highly recommended.
- Gather all items for the box (see Number 2 above). Determine the primary emergency point of contact (i.e., who gets a phone call in the middle of the night during a holiday). Keys should be clearly marked by use. Key rings and tags may be needed to sort keys by function.
- Contact City of St. Marys Fire Department to secure the box at 419-394-2361.